Mona Vale Hospital New Emergency Short Stay Unit
CPS was engaged as Project Managers in a client representative capacity by Northern Sydney Local Health District for the design and construction of a new 10 bed Emergency Short Stay Unit (ESSU) with associated clinical treatment and support services functions, within the existing Emergency Department at Mona Vale Hospital.
The project was funded by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) through the Ministry of Health and included the reconfiguration, refurbishment and extension of the western side of the Emergency Department.
A new elevated walkway was built on the western side of the new ESSU to provide on grade access to the main hospital 24 hours a day. The southern side of the Emergency Department was extended to allow for four new offices and a relative's room. There were external civil works to allow for the extension of the hospital foot print.
Some of the project challenges included:
- Delivering full scope within a very restricted budget
- Maintaining on grade access to the main hospital
- Allowing uninterrupted use of the Emergency Department including reception and triage
- Requirement for numerous staging and hoarding plans
- Working above a sensitive medical records area
- Multiple areas requiring asbestos removal
- Complex structural and services integration to a 1960’s building
- Construction of new smoke wall at places 4.5m in height
Client: Capital Works, Northern Sydney Local Health District
Locations: Mona Vale Hospital, Mona Vale
Service: Development Project Manager