Bourke Street Public School
CPS was engaged as Project Manager for:
- Development of the Site Master Plan
- Educational Planning Principles
- Design and documentation
- Statutory approval processes
- Superintendence of all contracts on behalf of School Infrastructure NSW
The GFA of 1,900 sqm is comprised of a new two-storey modular building and newly-fitted out areas within the existing heritage buildings; which includes:
- New future learning homebases (classrooms)
- A new timber-decked Multipurpose Hall/Community Centre
- Modern landscaped areas with a sports court, playground equipment and learning games
- A new dedicated library space
- Covered walkway spaces between existing heritage buildings and the new modular building.
- Refurbishment of existing heritage homebases and upgrades to staff amenities
The new building has been designed and constructed to artfully blend in with the surrounding historically significant terrace housing and heritage-listed sandstone buildings and walls dating back to 1883. Significant ground conditions had to be overcome including the discovery of air raid shelters under the playground built during the Second World War.
The school is located in Surry Hills, a rapidly growing area for young families; enrolments have nearly doubled from 2013 with over 400 students enrolled at project completion. The school was handed-over to the client in December 2016 and was successfully occupied by students and teachers on Day 1, Term 1 of 2017.
Client: School Infrastructure NSW
Location: Bourke Street, Surry Hills
Service: Project Management & Superintendence